PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Missing values

So, here's my problem...well, my ANOVA problem anyway. I am looking at trying to exclude cases from my data set and I am able to successfully exclude cases under one criteria (those who's parents are widowed, all of which apparently are dads which helps my analysis) but I would also like to exclude anyone who did not put a score for dadinv as my hypotheses depend upon some level of dadinv. Since the cases that I am looking at which do not have a value for dadinv also don't have values for many of the other dad categories, I thought this would be a reasonable solution because my hypothesis is the relationship between the ratings on the other dad categories and self-esteem. 
SO...can you help me fix this issue in SPSS?
Here is what I have done:  in "Select Cases" I chose the option to select cases "If..." and did pmstatus less than 3.1. What is next if I want to also exclude those cases who don't have a value for dadinv?
Thanks, Kris

1 Comments:

  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Mari said…

    You can combine select if statements.

    Select if pmstatus lt 3.1 and dadinv gt 0

    would work, for instance.

    However, if you are using dadinv as part of your model (either as DV, covariate, or converted for use as an IV), recognize that SPSS will automatically drop anyone for whom it is missing data.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home