PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Homework question again

I am having the same problem getting the one way ANOVA to only test two groups like the last question of the homework asks. Does anyone know how to get ANOVA to only test two groups? Every time I try it tests all three levels of Variable 1 instead of only two of them.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Ashli said…

    I had that problem with the homework too. The only way I know how to do it is to go back and just delete the level you don't want. It isn't the best way for sure but it does work.
    - Ashli

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger David said…

    The better way to do it is to tell SPSS to only select cases if a certain condition is true. The one-way ANOVA practice assignment on Moodle tells you how to do this under section A.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Ashli said…

    I never got that to work for the practice either. Where do we type LT3?

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger David said…

    In the "Select cases" dialog box, there is a radio button that says "If condition is satisfied." If you click on the "If..." button below that, you'll be taken to another window. Select the variable you want and click the arrow to move it over. Then add the "LT 3" so the full line reads "VAR1 LT 3". You can also use "< 3". Then you should be golden.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home