PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Strange APA style question

So I know spacing is important when we report statistics, so if we are reporting a negative number and the number falls at the end of a line such that the negative sign stays on the line while the rest of the number goes on to the next line, is it appropriate to add additional spaces so the negative sign stays with the number?  (I know its a weird question, I just want to do it correctly)

Example:

There was a significant difference between the groups, t(140) = -
3.4, p = .032.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Mari Clements said…

    Tiffany--

    You are absolutely right that your minus sign should be right next to the value, not on the previous line.

    One way to ensure that this happens is to use the symbol function in Word so that the program reads the - as a minus sign, not as a hyphen. (I wouldn't normally do this, but I do when I run into this issue, in part because opening the file on a different machine/different version of Word can mess with the spacing so that you end up with "t(140) = -3.42, p = .03" [or .032].)

    To use the symbol function, use Insert --> Symbol --> [choose the "Number Forms" subset] and the minus sign should be around the + sign, probably right after the numbers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home