Pseudonym Use
Read all of this post, even if you think you used a pseudonym correctly.
I am very serious about the use of a pseudonym. Both the TAs and I want to evaluate each assignment you submit as objectively as possible, and being unable to connect the work to previous or future ensures that we can do so.
Unless some of you thought that your classmates' names would make great pseudonyms, several of you did not submit your first assignment under a pseudonym. Let me be very clear that although the assignment was accepted this time, future assignments that are not submitted under a pseudonym will not be accepted and will receive failing grades. That is how serious I am about the integrity of the grading process and the protection of your identity.
Consider that the TA evaluating your work in this class might be your classmate in another class, or your fellow committee member in PGU, or your lab mate in your research lab. Your work in this class is not relevant to those settings, and you deserve to be able to work with your fellow grad students without any concerns that they have access to your grades.
If you made a mistake in signing up for turnitin.com and entered your real name in the registration process, you should correct this mistake by logging in to turnitin.com, going to the "User Info" tab at the upper right of the screen, scrolling halfway down the page to the "Last Name" and "First Name" fields, and putting in your new pseudonym. Note that it should NOT be the one you used in the in-class, baseline assessment, because I already have access to that key.
I am very serious about the use of a pseudonym. Both the TAs and I want to evaluate each assignment you submit as objectively as possible, and being unable to connect the work to previous or future ensures that we can do so.
Unless some of you thought that your classmates' names would make great pseudonyms, several of you did not submit your first assignment under a pseudonym. Let me be very clear that although the assignment was accepted this time, future assignments that are not submitted under a pseudonym will not be accepted and will receive failing grades. That is how serious I am about the integrity of the grading process and the protection of your identity.
Consider that the TA evaluating your work in this class might be your classmate in another class, or your fellow committee member in PGU, or your lab mate in your research lab. Your work in this class is not relevant to those settings, and you deserve to be able to work with your fellow grad students without any concerns that they have access to your grades.
If you made a mistake in signing up for turnitin.com and entered your real name in the registration process, you should correct this mistake by logging in to turnitin.com, going to the "User Info" tab at the upper right of the screen, scrolling halfway down the page to the "Last Name" and "First Name" fields, and putting in your new pseudonym. Note that it should NOT be the one you used in the in-class, baseline assessment, because I already have access to that key.
10 Comments:
At 9:07 PM,
Anonymous said…
should we choose a different pseudonym each time we submit an assignment, for additional anonymity, or is it okay to keep the same pseudonym for all online assignments?
At 3:11 PM,
Anonymous said…
This is unrelated to the original post, but I am unable to run the CD that came with the textbook. It just opens up a list of folders, none of which will run anything on my computer. I have a mac, I also tried using the CD on a Windows PC I had access to and ran into the same issue. How would I go about getting the program to run on my Mac?
At 4:39 PM,
Mari Clements said…
You should choose one pseudonym for use on turnitin.com and stick with it. I won't need to break that pseudonym code until assigning final grades.
You *will* have a different pseudonym for each exam, and those should all be different from the turnitin pseudonym.
Note also that you do not need a pseudonym for the blog (as it is not evaluative), but are welcome to post under your real name.
The data files on the CD are opened using statistical software (i.e., SPSS). You will open the files in SPSS (see practice assignments on the moodle site for practice on doing this). Please create a new post for questions such as this, rather than inserting them in an ongoing thread.
At 9:20 PM,
Anonymous said…
thanks!!
At 9:30 PM,
Anonymous said…
I don't see a button on the blog main page where I can post a new blog topic. How do we post. Also, this is the question I have: Is it okay to audio record the classes? I think it would be helpful so I can make sure I don't miss any of the examples or lectures while I'm writing notes.
At 6:59 AM,
Mari Clements said…
Are you a registered user of the blog? Are you logged in?
If so, there should be a "New Post" hyperlink to the right of your email address on the home page.
At 8:59 AM,
Anonymous said…
In regards to the exams, how do we study for them, is it just the class notes?
I attempted to start a new post but was not able too.
At 6:14 AM,
Anonymous said…
about leaving posts- I am logged in and all it says to the right of my email address are "dashboard" and "sign out" there is no option for "new post" ?
At 10:26 AM,
Mari Clements said…
Dear Anonymous--
You were NOT logged in when you made this last posting, because if you were, the "name" under which you are posting would have appeared on the blog as a hypertext link (i.e., underlined and in blue).
You also appear to be on the wrong screen when you are trying to make a new post. You should be on the main page of the blog, and your email address should be followed by the headings "New Post" and "Sign Out." (It sounds like you are actually on your dashboard screen, which might have an address more like of www.blogger.com/home instead of www.pg851.blogspot.com.)
Although the blog allows new posts under pseudonyms (if you wish, although that is completely unnecessary because the blog is not evaluative in nature), it does not allow new posts if you have chosen an Anonymous identity. (That is a utility to protect us all from 57 advertisements for get rich quick scams and offers to receive 1.5$ million from the barrister of a deposed royal.)
If you still believe that you are correctly signed in, make a comment to an existing post, but before you post it, look directly below the box you are typing in, and you will see the "Choose an identity" options. If you are logged in, the first option will be your blogger account, and "Sign Out" should be hypertexted. If it is not, you are already signed out.
Keep looking down the list, and the last option is "Anonymous." If that radio button is clicked, you will not be able to make a new post.
Hope that helps. If not, please click on the help hypertext from your dashboard. It may well be that there are interface issues specific to your computer that I can't help you with, particularly if it is a Mac.
At 10:27 AM,
Mari Clements said…
If only the class notes were important for exams, there would be no required textbook.
Post a Comment
<< Home