Font for Table Text
Hi, I'm wondering if someone could clear this up for me: I was under the impression that tables had to be in a Sans Serif font (such as Arial), and that our write ups needed to be in Times New Roman (which, as far as I remember, is not a Sans Serif font). The APA manual presents tables in a font that looks like Arial and the text in what looks like Times New Roman. I can't find it stated in the APA manual if this is an explicit rule or not. I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Thanks!

3 Comments:
At 3:43 PM,
David said…
Section 8.03 in the APA manual has this information.
Technically, there is a distinction between figures and tables (APA manual, p. 125).
It's true that the tables are in a sans serif font in the manual; but it's also true that their examples for text are also in sans serif. I think they're just doing that to differentiate between examples and the rest of the text in the manual. If you look at figure 2.1 (p. 52), the table uses serifs.
Bottom line: I'm not sure if tables can be sans serif, but the best bet would be to use Times New Roman for both your text and tables.
At 4:12 PM,
Mari Clements said…
Tables CANNOT be sans serif. They must match the text, which is serif.
APA's choice of using a sans serif type font to have things stick our as examples is unfortunate in this regard.
At 4:41 PM,
Jenn Irish said…
Thanks, that helps a lot!
Post a Comment
<< Home