PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Friday, March 11, 2011

About omitting levels in IV

I want to use a variable that has a a couple levels I don't want to include, but I'm having a hard time telling SPSS to exclude these. I'm going to Data--> Select Cases, but then I don't know what language to use to tell it what I want...does this make sense? Is this something you can help me with or am I on my own? :)

Thanks!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger David said…

    You can use a combination of the following logic symbols:

    = (equals)
    ~= (not equal to)
    & (and)
    | (or)
    < (less than)
    <= (less than or equal to)
    > (greater than)
    >= (greater than or equal to)

    So for example, the following expression selects cases if variable equals 2 or 5:

    variable = 2 | variable = 5

    Or to say select cases if variable does not equal 3 and 4, you would write:

    variable ~= 3 & variable ~=4

    Or to say select cases if variable is less than 3:

    variable < 3

    Or any combination of those ideas. Good luck!

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Erika said…

    Wow, thanks for the quick reply! This is more than helpful :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home