About hyphenating...
Hello,
On the most recently graded article review (# 4), one of the comments said I should not hyphenate "t tests," but on my one way anova write up, I was told I should hyphenate the term. I'm not sure whether I will use the term again this quarter, but I would still like some clarification for my own educational benefit. :)
Thanks!
On the most recently graded article review (# 4), one of the comments said I should not hyphenate "t tests," but on my one way anova write up, I was told I should hyphenate the term. I'm not sure whether I will use the term again this quarter, but I would still like some clarification for my own educational benefit. :)
Thanks!
1 Comments:
At 10:04 PM,
David said…
Sorry if there was mixed information given. The use of a hyphen depends on the situation.
"Most compound adjective rules are applicable only when the compound adjective precedes the term it modifies. If a compound adjective follows the term, do not use a hyphen" (APA manual, p. 99).
Page 100 has an explicit example of t test.
results from t tests
(since t test comes after the word it modifies).
but
t-test results
(since t-test comes before the word it modifies)
And the "t" is italicized.
Post a Comment
<< Home