PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Questions on the Practice Homework

1.) I cannot seem to find how to report results as text in the APA publication manual. Does anyone know the page?

2.) On the practice grading rubric, it says "direction of effect reported" for both the t-test and one-way anova. How/ where do you find this?

3.) E. asks "Do you have outliers?" ... is there a way to tell without graphing?

4.) G. asks "Have you met the assumption of independence of observations? What information is critical to you in knowing if you have or have not?" ... how can you tell? By the effect size?

Thank you!

Brooke

3 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    I may not be entirely correct on these comments, but hopefully they spur your memory :)

    1) Did you look at the example on Moodle? It's called "Oneway ANOVA write up example" under Jan 10-16

    2) I'm not sure, but I think you just look at your descriptive stats. So, I think, you could generally just look at the means for example of the groups. I still need to run through the practice though, so I can't speak the specifics.

    3) Not sure. You could look at each and every data set?? JK :)

    4) I'm pretty sure that meeting the assumption of independence of observations is dependent on how you conduct your study more so than the numbers you get from running SPSS. So like if you are giving a survey to a bunch of married people and their spouses on marital happiness, each husband and wife pair will likely be related in some way. So your observations are not independent. (see handout 1, page 4 slide 5).

    I hope that helps. It helped me to review :) I just hope I'm right :)

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    Oh, sorry a clarification on what I was saying with number 2:

    2) So what I understood, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, is that the direction of effect isn't shown in the inferential stats. Rather I would look at my groups and see which mean is higher. So in handout 2 we had the little league example. So on page 2 slide 5 we see there is a significant difference between Minors and Majors (p = .000). But who is happier with there coach? I just know from that information that there is a significant difference between the two groups. So, I look at page 3, slide 1 where we have all the descriptive stats. And I see that on this measure, Minors had a higher mean than Majors, so when I'm writing my results I would say something about Minors being significantly more satisfied than Majors with their coaches.

    However, I am not sure if that gets to the exact definition of direction of effect. So if anyone else has more explanation that would help :)
    Thanks!

    Tiffany

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Blogger Mari Clements said…

    2) The descriptive statistics and the post-hoc table will both tell you which group is significantly higher (or if you prefer to interpret it that way, which is lower) than the other group. Because you know from the post-hoc table which differences are significant (at p < .001, not at p = .000, remember), you can conclude the direction of effect is such that group X is significantly higher than group Y (or if you prefer, that group Y is significantly lower than group X) on attribute Z. That's all it means by direction of effect.

    3) The text gives you a non-graphing way, but as we discussed in class, with sample sizes greater than 20, better to graph it using either the histogram (with normal curve) function under frequencies (which is, in turn, under descriptive statistics under statistics) or the Q-Q plot (again, under descriptive statistics).

    (Nice job, Tiffany!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home