PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Review Article Formatting

I was just trying to turn in my article reviews on turnitin.com, and I uploaded the file from my computer. However, when it showed me the preview of my file, all my spacing and formatting was messed up, including the reference. Is there a way to fix that, or does the formatting get changed back somehow when someone goes to grade it?

4 Comments:

  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger David said…

    If I remember correctly, there are times when the formatting is wrong immediately after submission. Try waiting a several minutes before checking again.

    If that doesn't work, we'll figure it out. Obviously, you won't be graded down for Turnitin's bugs.

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Mari Clements said…

    Of the article reviews currently submitted, the formatting issues appear to be confined to the reference formatting, and are of one of two types:

    1. The hanging indent (a/k/a reverse indent) of the reference is not a full 1/2 inch.

    2. The hanging indent appears to have been done with spaces rather than the word processor hanging indent. If you "manually" made your reference have a hanging indent, go back into Word and use the hanging indent feature. You can do this in 2 ways:

    A. Using the menus. In paragraph formatting, choose "indentation," then "special," then "hanging." Make sure the amount is set to .5 inches.

    B. Using the ruler. Drag the bottom caret over to .5 inch inside the margin. (If both carets come over when you drag it, just drag the top one back to the right place.)

    Note that using hanging indents is going to be very important to you when you work on your master's project and/or dissertation, so better to master this sooner rather than later.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Mari Clements said…

    P.S. If the reference formatting wasn't your issue, rest easy knowing that none of these early submitted Article Review 2 papers had other spacing issues.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Grant Goodman said…

    The reference formatting was my main issue. In my word document I have the "hanging" format that I did using the paragraph formatting tab, but when I upload my document and preview my submission on turnitin.com it shows the first line of the reference as indented rather than hanging. I'm going to go ahead and turn it in, and hopefully it reformats the right way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home