Table
If a table is needed for data that has more than 3 numbers, do we count both columns and rows? If so, then is a table not needed for the t-test part of the homework, since there are only 2 items on the IV? Or do we still need a table since there are 3 items on the descriptive statistics?
3 Comments:
At 10:30 PM,
Unknown said…
I am going to do my best to answer your question, but I unfortunately do not have my APA manual in front of me (I am out of town), and I have not seen the homework (we will make sure to have it next time). If I tell you something incorrect, you will not get penalized for it.
With that said, it is my understanding, as with the regression assignments, that you do not HAVE TO make a table. In writing up results, tables are used to communicate the data more effectively. Therefore, it is often BETTER to use a table, but I am unaware of a specific time when one is REQUIRED. One important rule is to make sure not to duplicate the information (i.e. the stats themselves) - so include it in a table OR in the text, but not both.
In terms of your question, I'm not sure what numbers and items you are referring to. By items, do you mean levels? Anyway, in case you are turning in your hw tomorrow, just make sure you include all the information that is necessary in a results section (in the text or a table), and make sure you format all tables correctly. Follow the example Mari posted on the blog and the examples in the APA manual.
At 10:50 PM,
Unknown said…
After reading the comment I just left, I realized that it sounded like I was implying that it is usually better to use a table. If that was implied I didn't mean for it to be. It is SOMETIMES better to use a table. Sometimes, a table helps to clarify the information and visualize it. Other times, it is more confusing and unnecessary because including it in the write-up is sufficient for the reader's understanding. Hope that helps.
At 12:33 PM,
Mari said…
As we talked about in class, 3 or fewer numbers, put in text. For 4-20 numbers, use a table. More than 20 numbers (not including a correlation matrix), use a figure. Please see p. 137 of the publication manual.
Having said that, what is a number? Think about it as the numbers that are actually being compared. If you are reporting M, SD, and n for each cell analyzed, is that 1 number or 3? It's actually considered 1 (because you are comparing the means).
When you are looking at p. 137 of the Publication Manual, you will note that it refers you to sections 3.57, 3.62, and 3.75, and two of the examples in those sections are mean comparisons (t-tests and ANOVAs). Please consult the APA Publication Manual when questions like this arise. That's exactly why it is a required resource for the class.
Post a Comment
<< Home