PG851: GLM--ANOVA

This blog is for the use of students enrolled in either section of PG851. It is intended to be a forum for asking, discussing, clarifying, and helping.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Qualitative Analyses for Article Reviews

I have a question related to the article review format we should be using for qualitative or phenomenological analyses in journal articles. I am aware there is a theoretical article format provided for us when reviewing those types of articles, but if I have a relevant qualitative analysis (e.g., an analysis with a formal hypothesis, method, result and discussion, but no empirical design or statistical tests) should I use the original (e.g., quantitative) format?

Thanks,

Chris

3 Comments:

  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Mari said…

    Good question...

    My thought would be that an empirical qualitative study is an empirical study (just as an empirical quantitative study is an empirical study). That is, if there are hypotheses, analyses, and results (whether those analyses are quantitative or qualitative in nature), use the empirical outline.

    Only when you don't have specific hypotheses, analyses, and results should you use the theoretical outline. Examples of these kinds of papers are review articles and chapter and purely theoretical works. Note also that there is a limit on the number of theoretical papers you can review this quarter.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Thanks for the answer Mari, it was helpful and I decided to use the original format.

    A question on the theoretical reviews, however: have you established a number limit as of yet? I have found a few more articles that seem to be relevant for what I hope to research, but want to know if I should use them...

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Mari said…

    The syllabus--for both classes--lists the number of theoretical articles you may review. (Actually, it lists this information in the reverse--as in, the number of articles which must be empirical in nature.) I double checked both of the syllabus* on portico this morning to make sure that they do both include this information, and they do.

    *Your random trivia for the day. The plural of syllabus is NOT syllabi, but rather syllabus. Such fun having ancient language scholars on our SOT faculty who are happy to share such tidbits...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home